I am sure there are more than 7 Myths About Varicose & Spider Veins, but for today we will tackle the 7 silliest myths that some people still believe to be true. Varicose vein “facts” are often not as accurate as they may seem, and non-medical sources that are otherwise reliable may be spreading outdated or incorrect information.
7 myths about varicose veins and spider veins that are not true:
- Crossing your legs causes varicose veins. This is an old wives’ tale that provides cover for a far more frequent actual cause of varicose veins: prolonged sitting or standing. Crossing your legs is fine, but if this means you are also sitting for an extended period, take a break a couple times an hour to stretch and move around.
- High heels cause varicose veins. This is another one that has survived countless retellings. High heels are fine to wear, in moderation: this has nothing to do with varicose veins, and more to do with comfortable and pain-free feet.
- Only women need to worry about varicose veins. Maybe this falsehood arises from the high heels myth? While pregnancy is a significant causal factor for varicose veins that men don’t have to worry about, varicose and spider veins happen to both women and men. Gender is not a magic cure!
- Exercise causes varicose and spider veins. This may be the most harmful misinformation out there, because the exact opposite is true: moderate exercise is one of the most effective ways to prevent varicose and spider veins. More activity is better for your vein health.
- Genetic factors determine likelihood of varicose veins. Genetics play an important role, however lifestyle factors are just as telling, including nutrition, level of activity, and how much you sit or stand for long periods.
- Pregnancy turns varicose veins into a permanent problem. As mentioned above, pregnancy can cause varicose veins to develop. But that doesn’t mean they are a permanent problem. Varicose vein treatments work just as well post-pregnancy as they do in other situations.
- There are no easy and effective varicose vein solutions. Modern treatments for varicose veins and spider veins are amazingly effective and dramatically easy. Out-patient procedures are fast, relatively painless, and require almost no time away from work or doing the activities you enjoy. Rates of recurrence are low and stubborn varicose veins can be eliminated with follow up treatment.
Vein Care is the premier provider of varicose vein and spider vein treatment in Melbourne. A consultation takes just minutes and can help you avoid much more serious vein problems in the future. Contact our courteous, helpful staff today for an appointment.