Endovenous laser treatment (EVLT) is one of the latest treatment options for varicose veins:
- Local anaesthetic for the affected area is required for EVLT.
- Using ultrasound guidance, a laser fibre is inserted into the abnormal vein.
- The laser is activated and the fibre is drawn through the length of the vein, causing it to seal.
- There is minimal discomfort. The procedure is done under local anaesthetic.
- Total treatment time is 1.5 hours.
- Adjacent abnormal veins are typically treated with ultrasound guided sclerotherapy or ambulatory phlebectomy.
- Compression stocking are required following treatment.
- Success rate for EVLT over a 3-5 year period is over 90-percent.
EVLT is offered as an alternative to traditional surgical vein “stripping” procedures, with the advantages of being more effective, less painful and requiring less downtime. EVLT utilises both ultrasound and laser technology to optimise varicose vein treatment – this makes it one of the most technologically advanced treatments available. Note that endovenous laser treatment is a relatively new treatment option for varicose vein management, but it is not appropriate for all cases. Talk with your doctor to determine your suitability for EVLT treatment.
Varicose veins are very treatable – there is no reason to continue to suffer in silence. If you have questions regarding varicose veins or EVLT treatment or would like to schedule a consultation, please call our helpful patient service staff on (03) 9813 1535(03) 9813 1535 or 1300 730 1001300 730 100, or contact us online through our contact page.