Varicose Vein Symptoms
Varicose vein awareness begins with noting common symptoms, which may include:
• Blue or dark purple coloured veins, most common in the legs
• Prominent veins that are bulging and/or twisting in appearance
• Chronic achy legs, “heavy legs” or undefined leg soreness
• Swelling in the legs, including burning sensation, throbbing and/or muscle cramping
• Pain that increases following extended periods sitting or standing
• Redness, discolouration and/or itching around prominent veins
• Localised skin hardening or skin ulcers (which may also indicate more serious vascular disease
Spider Vein Symptoms
Spider veins are very similar to varicose veins, but much smaller. Spider veins are typically red or blue and they are found very near the skin’s surface. Legs are a common area for spider veins, as well as the face.
If you notice any of these varicose vein or spider vein symptoms, you should see a varicose vein specialist for a more precise diagnosis.
Common Causes of Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
Varicose veins make look similar in different patients, however there are a variety of causes: