Ultrasound guided sclerotherapy (UGS) is a specialised form of treatment for varicose veins. It’s essentially an advanced version of sclerotherapy treatment that uses an ultrasound tool to guide the injection of a special solution into the affected veins. This procedure is incredibly effective, causing the vein wall to collapse. The veins then dissolve and disappear over time as the body absorbs them.
How Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy Works
Like traditional sclerotherapy, ultrasound guided foam sclerotherapy procedures are brief and effective, requiring no anaesthetic.
- An ultrasound (and a sonogram in some cases) is performed to accurately map the intended treatment area
- A detergent solution is then injected into the varicose vein with precision, enabling the vein wall to collapse. Two to four injections may be required depending on the situation.
- Ultrasound pulses are used to detect the presence of detergent sclerosant abnormal veins.
- Following the injection, the collapsed veins are naturally absorbed into the body. The entire treatment takes less than an hour.
Mild discolouration and tenderness may occur at the treatment site. However, this usually subsides within a few days. Depending on the severity, multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve the best results. UGS may be used in conjunction with endovenous laser treatment (EVLT) and ambulatory phlebectomy to treat larger and more persistent varicose veins.
Benefits of Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy
Ultrasound guided sclerotherapy enhances the effectiveness of traditional sclerotherapy and provides the best outcomes for serious and persistent cases of varicose veins. UGS mat appear complex, but the treatment is relatively simple and offers a range of benefits such as:
- Non-surgical treatment with minimal discomfort
- Performed on an outpatient basis
- Greater precision
- Quick treatment process
- Reduced need for follow up appointments
- No need to miss time from work or regular activities
The doctors and health care professionals at Vein Care are leaders in the field – our blend of experience and skills are unmatched, and we have already helped thousands of people enjoy healthier, happier lives free from discomfort and pain.
Book a Consultation
Varicose veins are very treatable – there is no reason to continue to suffer in silence. To learn more about Vein Care treatment or to make an appointment for a consultation, please call our helpful patient service staff on (03) 9813 1535 or 1300 568 676 or contact us online.