Many people are under the misconception that varicose veins and spider veins are purely cosmetic conditions without negative side effects outside of their appearance. This is untrue – there are many serious and painful symptoms that come with diseased veins which is why it’s so important to seek treatment in the early stages. In this article, we’re discussing the severity of varicose veins and the ways that they can be treated by Vein Care.
What Are Varicose Veins?
To fully understand why many of our patients experience pain and discomfort from varicose veins, it’s important to know what causes them. Varicose veins are swollen or twisted veins, typically found in the lower limbs. Inside of our veins are valves that open and close, forcing blood to circulate back towards the heart.
Due to a number of factors, including age, hormones and lifestyle, these valves can weaken. The blood that was intended to reach the heart can start moving backwards and pooling inside veins in the legs and arms, stretching and swelling a vein just below the skin.
Pain and Discomfort Caused by Varicose Veins
There are many painful side effects to varicose veins, including:
- Aching and heaviness in the legs, making it difficult and tiring to perform daily tasks
- Burning, cramping, throbbing and swelling in the affected areas
- Increased pain after long periods of standing or sitting still
- Itchiness around one or more of the affected veins
- Skin hardening and ulcers that are located in a single area
The Importance of Seeking Treatment from Vein Care
There are methods available to help you ease your pain and discomfort at home. If your condition doesn’t respond to these methods, it’s important to seek professional treatment as soon as possible. The sooner you have your veins eliminated, the less invasive the treatment will need to be. At Vein Care, we offer a wide range of non-surgical treatments for varicose veins in Melbourne.
Speak to our team to discover the best option for your needs. We specialise in:
- Sclerotherapy and Microsclerotherapy – the vein wall is collapsed, and the immune system naturally dissolves it
- Ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy – an ultrasound is used for a more advanced version of sclerotherapy
- Endovenous laser therapy – an alternative to vein stripping that is more effective, less painful and offers faster recovery times
- Ambulatory phlebectomy – the affected vein is pulled out under local anaesthetic
Make an Appointment with Vein Care in Melbourne
Don’t spend any more time suffering from the painful side effects of varicose veins. Treatment is effective, safe and easily accessible from Vein Care. You can contact our team online or by calling 1300 730 100.