Some of the most common causes of varicose veins are often things outside our control such as genetics or ageing, but there are some things you can do to help prevent them.
Prevention is key to avoiding the need for professional varicose vein treatment, however many people are unfamiliar with the most common risk factors that can lead to vascular problems. Are you at higher risk of developing varicose veins or spider veins?
Most common risk factors to be aware of:
- Natural aging. Varicose veins occur naturally as a consequence of aging. Veins and the valves in them deteriorate and weaken. Preventing aging is impossible, but maintaining proper diet and exercise can mitigate the effects and preserve vein health.
- Genetic predisposition. Having family members with varicose veins indicates a genetic predisposition to weakened valves. In fact, about half of people who need varicose vein treatment have family members who also need treatment. Be aware of your family medical history.
- Hormonal changes. Pregnancy, menopause and use of medicines containing oestrogen or progesterone – including birth control pills – are associated with increased risk of varicose veins and spider veins. These are times to be more aware of visible changes in your vein health.
- Pregnancy. Aside from the hormonal changes, with pregnancy comes physical changes that impact vein health, including weight gain and increased blood volume. Each additional pregnancy increases the likelihood of varicose veins and spider veins.
- Obesity. Being overweight puts increased pressure on veins and typically includes elevated blood pressure. The toll on vein health can be substantial.
- Lack of movement. This includes not only protracted sitting, but also standing for long periods. Take breaks to stretch or exercise if your job requires long periods of either.
- Sun exposure. Unprotected skin exposed to strong sunlight is at higher risk of developing spider veins. Take appropriate precautions to avoid exposure, including sunscreen and a hat.
Prevention is difficult in some cases and there is no foolproof way to avoid varicose or spider veins. If you notice the appearance of either or suspect a change in your vein health, varicose vein treatment is crucial to avoid more serious problems. Vein Care can help you. We feature a skilled and experienced medical staff equipped with the latest in technology and varicose vein solutions. We specialise in helping patients in Melbourne and surrounding communities enjoy the best vein health possible. Schedule an appointment to begin the road to healing.