It’s no secret that standing all day while you’re at work can be detrimental to your back and lower limbs. With most adults working between thirty and sixty hours a week, spending that time standing up can result in serious health issues, including an early appearance of varicose veins.
In this article, we’re discussing the effects of standing for long periods of time and the treatments that are available.
Occupations at High Risk of Health Issues
There are a few occupations where standing all day is simply unavoidable – these include but aren’t limited to:
- Food preparation staff
The list goes on and on, and it’s unfortunate that there is no real solution to making these jobs require less standing time. However, there are certain tactics that can be used to lessen your chances of developing health issues, including regular stretching, compression stockings, comfortable shoes, changing positions, and taking regular breaks.
The Major Health Issues from Standing
The most commonly reported symptoms are discomfort, swollen legs and fatigue. Workers required to spend a lot of time on their feet are more likely to experience pain and discomfort in their shins, calves, knees, feet and lower back, leading to a scary range of health problems if left untreated. Workers may be at high risk of circulatory problems, including cardiovascular issues and strokes.
Other painful standing symptoms include:
- Heel problems, including spurs and plantar fasciitis
- Bunions and corns
- Achilles tendonitis
- Flat feet and other changes to foot structure
- Lower back pain
- Restricted blood flow
- Arthritis in knees and hips
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- High blood pressure
- Immobilisation of joints
- Varicose veins
What are the Side Effects and Treatments of Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins can appear in a number of areas of the body, varying in severity between patients. Some of the side effects of varicose veins include:
- Discolouration and darkening of veins
- Veins that bulge and twist beneath the skin
- Chronic aching or heaviness in the legs and feet
- Swelling, throbbing, burning or cramping
- Redness or itching around prominent veins in the legs
- Skin hardening and ulcers
At Vein Care, we offer a wide range of non-surgical treatments for varicose veins in Melbourne. Modern medicine has made it simple to treat varicose veins effectively, safely and with ease. We offer different treatments for different levels of conditions, including:
- Sclerotherapy and Microsclerotherapy – we collapse the vein wall and allow the body to dissolve it naturally
- Ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy – an ultrasound is used for a more advanced version of sclerotherapy
- Endovenous laser therapy – an alternative to vein stripping that is more effective, less painful and offers faster recovery times
- Ambulatory phlebectomy – the affected vein is pulled out under local anaesthetic
Speak to Vein Care in Melbourne for Treatment
If you’re noticing signs of varicose veins from standing all day at your job, speak to Vein Care for effective, safe and simple treatment options. You can contact our team online or by calling 1300 730 100.