Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is an intimidating name with a rather simple explanation: DVT refers to blood clots that develop in the deep veins in the legs, or within the veins of the upper extremities. Deep vein thrombosis can happen even in the absence of varicose veins however varicose veins, is a risk factor for DVT.
If you have a problem with deep vein thrombosis, you will probably notice the symptoms first:
- Unusual swelling in one or both legs
- Skin discoloration or redness within the affected leg
- Surface veins that become gradually more visible
- Unusual fatigue or a feeling of “heaviness” in the legs
Awareness of the danger of deep vein thrombosis, particularly as you age, is the first step in avoiding problems. Other steps include:
- Engage in sufficient exercise and stay regularly active and on your feet.
- Avoid long periods of sitting in one spot; take periodic breaks to stretch and move around.
- Manage your blood pressure.
- Avoid smoking, which causes blood vessels to tighten and blood flow to be restricted.
Treating Deep Vein Thrombosis
Goals for treatment of DVT include prevention, both to keep the clot from growing and from breaking free and traveling to a critical organ. A blood thinner may be prescribed, or a variety of similar medications designed to alleviate progression and discomfort. Severe cases may require a hospital procedure called catheter-directed thrombolysis, which seeks to attack the clot directly with clot-busting medicines.
Vein Care are experienced and trusted experts for vein treatments in Melbourne, including procedures designed to prevent deep vein thrombosis and recurrence of vein and circulatory difficulties.We have helped thousands of patients find relief from pain and discomfort, unsightly appearance of veins, and more serious problems that left untreated create serious risks to health. We specialise in non-surgical vein treatments that are fast, safe and pain-free. Stop in or contact us for a consultation to learn more.